Friday, June 10, 2011

Christmas at the Flat

I sat on the sofa playing with my rubber band. After a few minutes of doing nothing, I took another tour of my new flat.

It was hardly entertaining, seeing the same boring grey flat everyday. It had only been one week since I moved in with my mum. One week away from Christmas, one week after my parents decided to separate.

My mum did everything to cheer me up: she bought me clothes, took me to restaurants, stuff like that. It was kind of her, considering we were pressed for money.

Why would she think some clothes and my favourite ice-cream would cheer me up? Well, normally they would, but not this time.

I couldn’t sleep. Every night I lay in bed, tossing and turning. I even pinched myself to wake up from this nightmare of a life.

After what seemed like a century, Christmas Eve came. It was a special night. The first night I ever got some sleep. I woke up in the morning to see a colourful dining room with two bright chandeliers, the wall painted violet, stockings hanging up on the wall and I got a whiff of the roast turkey in the oven.

Hmm, maybe I’ll enjoy this Xmas after all!

World Book Week 2011

Short Story Competition FIRST PLACE

Christina Camilleri

No comments: